We are the only Cairns reef, rainforest and river day tour. Our comfortable, airconditioned coach departs Cairns daily at around 7.45am. It takes you south past fields of sugar cane and the iconic Gordonvale Pyramid, tracking alongside the World Heritage listed Wooroonooran National Park with rainforest mountains, to your river cruise departure point. Please note transfers are also available from Mission Beach. Climb aboard our luxurious boat Turtle Islander, which has two levels of airconditioned comfort and shaded outdoor decks, all providing panoramic views.
It’s a 30-minute calm water cruise along the Mulgrave River, which is lined with rainforest and mangroves, before a short 6-mile open water crossing to the Frankland Islands. This archipelago is a natural haven and protected National Park. It’s surrounded by pristine sandy beaches, with rock pools and healthy fringing reefs which can be snorkeled from the beach. Here you have up to 4.5 hours to relax and enjoy. Included in your day is a guided snorkel tour, with snorkeling equipment and instruction, a tropical buffet lunch, morning and afternoon tea. Optional activities include an Adventure snorkel safari, Semi-submersible or Glass bottom boat tour, Guided island walk and Introductory or Certified scuba diving. Clear kayaks and Stand up paddle boards as well as Sea-doo scooters are available for hire. The tour returns to Cairns around 5.15pm.
The Great Barrier Reef’s Frankland Islands are a pristine archipelago located 10km offshore, about 45km south-east of Cairns. The group consists of five continental islands, Normanby, High, Russell, Round and Mabel, and are a part of the World Heritage listed Great Barrier Reef Marine Park. All the islands are uninhabited and surrounded by healthy fringing reefs, full of hard and soft corals, giant clams, schools of fish, turtles, octopus and more. Dugongs, Manta Rays and Whales have been sighted here. The islands’ vegetation varies from rocky outcrops, to sandy beaches lined with coastal grasses, pandanus and coconuts, to mangroves and dense rainforest. As such, they are home to an abundance of birdlife and are an important nesting site for the little tern (Sterna albifrons), the beach stone-curlew (Esacus neglectus), the pied imperial pigeon (Ducula bicolour) and the crested tern (Sterna bergii). While camping is allowed at Russell Island, Frankland Islands Reef Cruises are the only company to hold a permit to visit Normanby Island, making ours an exclusive day tour option.
Marine Life Of The Frankland Islands
The fringing reefs around the Frankland Islands are a part of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park and are home to a diverse array of marine life. You can see these on a day tour with us, exploring the underwater world on a Guided snorkel tour. Optional activities include an Adventure snorkel safari, Semi-submersible or Glass bottom boat tour, Guided island walk and Introductory or Certified scuba diving. Clear kayaks and Stand up paddle boards as well as Sea-doo scooters are available for hire.
- Hard & Soft Corals
- Green Sea Turtles
- Giant Clams
- Sea Stars
- Feather Stars
- Angelfish & Parrotfish
- Sea Cucumbers
- Manta Rays
A tropical buffet lunch, which is served on the island. The menu is catered by our contract Chefs, providing a choice of several salads, chicken, ham, prawns, breads and an abundance of fresh tropical fruit. Outstanding customer service throughout the day and plenty of time to explore a pristine Great Barrier Reef National Park island.
- Modern Boat
- Spectacular 30-Minute River Cruise
- Marine Interpretation
- Marine biologist onboard daily
- Morning and Afternoon Tea
- Guided Snorkel Tour
- Protection suits (seasonal)
- Flotation Devices
- Tropical buffet lunch including Prawns
- Free Guide for Certified Divers
- Up to 4.5 hours reef time
- All snorkelling equipment
Why Choose Us
You get to spend the day on a secluded, unspoilt National Park island on the Great Barrier Reef! Where you can literally snorkel straight from the pristine white sandy beach, across a wide variety of colourful corals and tropical fish. With an expert marine biologist on hand, to explain this amazing and unique ecosystem.
We have the shortest open water crossing of any Cairns reef day tour, which means you spend less time travelling and more time exploring. This also makes us the best choice for people who suffer from seasickness.
We’re locally owned and operated, committed to providing outstanding customer service. Our average staff to customer ratio is 1:8. Passenger safety is our priority at all times.
What Should I Bring
Shoes that can get wet and sandy. Towel, hat, sunnies, suncream (try for a reef friendly type), bathers and anything else for a day out on a tropical island. Refillable water bottle. Cash or credit card (Visa or Mastercard) for onboard purchases or optional activities.
Day Tour Photos
Δ Swim with Sea Turtle
Δ Swim with Manta Rays
- Subject to availability – please note that we will send you the voucher or product within the indicated working day(s) after payment. If product is fully booked or sold out, full refund will be granted.
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- Guests must reconfirm their bookings at least 48 hours prior to their tour departing
- No refund, If you late or no show on the date of the scheduled departure or commencement time/date.
- If you cancel more than 10 calendar days prior to the scheduled departure or commencement time/date, there is no cancellation fee.
- If you cancel between 6 and 9 calendar days prior to the scheduled departure or commencement time/date, you will be charged a cancellation fee of 50% of the transaction total.
- If you cancel within 5 calendar days of the scheduled departure or commencement time/date, you will be charged a cancellation fee of 100% of the transaction total. These cancellation terms are subject to change without notice and can be dependent on the individual tour operator/supplier.
- Please Note: If mentioned above, the supplier’s cancellation policy will take precedence over Crazy Aussie Australia’s cancellation policy. Refer to Terms and Conditions for further information.